St Bede’s is a Voluntary Aided Church of England Junior School. It was originally built in 1939 by the Diocese of Guildford and local people principally to serve the Send and Ripley communities as a secondary school. A plaque in the school hall records a founding inscription “This school was built to the glory of God and for the furtherance of Christian Education 22 April 1939”. Since the early 1970s St Bede’s has been a junior school and today we have around 250 boys and girls between the ages of 7 and 11.
Children at the school come mainly from Send (which is approximately 3 miles from the centre of Woking, and 5 miles from the centre of Guildford) and nearby villages. However, as a popular Church of England school it attracts children from further afield, particularly from south Woking.
We recently enjoyed our 70th anniversary as a school in the Village. St Bede’s was originally built as a secondary school and has a large gymnasium as well as a hall, and extensive playing fields.
We are proud of our achievements, having won the Healthy Schools, Financial Management Standard in Schools, Parents in Partnership, Basic Skills Awards and Eco Schools Bronze awards.